What I've Been Listening to Lately: The 6/3/2011 Edition


I'm sure it doesn't come as a big suprise that I'm highlighting Dvorak today. As I look through my previous posts it makes me realize I need to talk about other composers I listen to as well! You'd think I only listened to 3 or 4 of them.


I first heard Dvorak's "A Hero's Song" late one night on NPR. I simply fell in love with the piece and quickly sought it out and added it to my collection. If you are a fan of Dvorak's later symphonies (7th through 9th) then you will love his tone poems and shorter pieces like this.



Recently on my Pandora station I was introduced to Leos Janacek. I am glad I was. Another Czech composer like Mahler and Dvorak, it was the final nail in my own coffin of realizing that I do have a particular taste beyond what I used to describe. Previously I would describe my interest mainly in Romantic period symphonies and concertos, especially cello concertos. Now, with the advent of learning and listening to Janacek's music, I can narrow the above down even more to: A strong interest in Romantic period instrumental music with a strong inclination towards nationalist music of the Czech Republic and Russian composers.

I know, a biker, gamer geek such as myself, saying all of that? And with a straight dace? Man, I've come a long way since Bon Jovi.

0 Responses